Housing in Canada
Before embarking on your journey to Canada, it is crucial to initiate your housing search and secure accommodations well in advance of your arrival.
I strongly advise you to get in touch with your international student department to seek their recommendations regarding housing options.
We would like to present a few housing providers that you can consider reaching out to for assistance in your search. At the top of our list for starting your life in Canada is the homestay program. Engaging in a homestay program entails staying with a carefully selected and approved host family for the duration of your choice, allowing you to acclimate to your new surroundings in a supportive environment.
Kijiji- local classified adds
This is an excellent resource to find apartment, room rentals, yet caution must be taken when seeking accommodations via facebook. Do not pay anything more than first or last months rent in advance, never pay if they do not provide a number for you to contact them and never pay a small deposit to secure a spot. When using social media to search for accommodations you must use your street smarts as housing rentals are one of the most common scams.
- Always ensure you review accompanying photographs.
- Inquire about the current number of fellow renters.
- Conduct a Google search on the individual listed as the photographer, checking for any past comments or warning signs.
- Be prepared for the relatively high cost of renting in Canada; anticipate a minimum of $1400.00 CAD per month for a one-bedroom apartment.
- Be ready for requests related to credit checks and references; if you’re unable to provide this information, it’s advisable to explore other options.
- Explore student rental Facebook groups but maintain a healthy dose of caution as scams can be pervasive.
- Keep in mind that most landlords typically require a one-year lease commitment as the standard practice.
Once you've arrived and successfully arranged temporary accommodation, you can start exploring more permanent living arrangements. It's recommended to engage with fellow students on campus, seeking advice, and tapping into the school's housing resources.
We consistently strive to partner with local cultural and community organizations to expand housing choices for international students. We will keep you informed about any progress on these initiatives as we actively pursue additional resources.
The following recommendations are provided solely for informational purposes and do not imply responsibility for their implementation or outcomes. Recipients are advised to exercise their judgment on choosing any of the above providers. Syel Immigration holds no liability for any consequences arising from interactions with the aforementioned providers.